Brockport, New York, "The Victorian Village on the Erie Canal," was incorporated in 1829, 4 years after the completion of the Erie Canal. Its name derives from one of its founders, Heil Brockway. The village covers an area of 2.2 square miles and at 8366 residents is the largest village in Monroe County.
The 2010 census showed a village that was 92% White, 3.8% Black or African-American, .3% American Indian and Alaska Native, .1% Asian, .1% Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander, and 3.8% Hispanic or Latino. 92% of the adult population had a high school degree or higher and 39.2% a Bachelor's degree or higher. Forty-seven percent of village homes were owner occupied; the median value of owner occupied homes was $113,500 and median household income was $46,292.
Brockport's pedestrian friendly downtown of small shops and restaurants is listed on the National Register of Historic places. The Village prides itself on its public art, its Canalfront Welcome Center staffed by volunteers who greet boaters and Erie Canal cyclists, and its nine public parks.
Located 20 miles west of the city of Rochester and 11 miles south of Lake Ontario, Brockport is home to the College at Brockport, State University of New York. Once an agricultural and manufacturing center, today's village industries include frozen food packaging and distribution and electronic recycling.
To see videos of interviews with village government officials, conducted by 4th graders in the enrichment program at Hill School in the Brockport Centeral School District, click here.