Building & Code Enforcement Department
Welcome to the Building and Code Enforcement Department, located at 49 State Street and open Monday – Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm (except holidays).
Our department handles a wide range of matters pertaining to NYS Building Code, property maintenace and inspections, permits & certificates of occupancy, fire safety, and applications to the Planning Board and the Zoning Board of Appeals.
We welcome your questions and inquiries so please stop by, give us a call, or forward an email.
Please note: We cannot accept complaints via telephone. Please complete a Code Enforcement Complaint Form
(contact us to verify the need for a permit)
- Building Permit Application
- Residential Structures with Truss Type Construction, Pre-Engineered Wood Construction, and/or Timber Construction
- Plumbing Permit
- Stair Building Code
- Decks and Pool Decks
- Electrical Inspectors
- Solar Permit
- Swimming Pools
- Rental Certificate of Occupancy Application
- Multiple Residency Habitability Inspections
- 2016-17 Residential Rental Registration Application
- Tenants Rights & Responsibilities
- Tenant Check-List
- Inspection Checklist for Landlords
Fire / Safety Inspections
- Property Regulations, Permits, and Inspections
- Open Burning Regulations
Stormwater / Flood Plain / Illicit Discharge
Planning / Zoning
- Space Heater Safety Tips
- Private Fire Hydrant Report
- Chimney and Woodstove Fire Safety
- Asbestos Facts & Responsibilities
Lead Poisoning or Mold
Lead Poisoning – Contact the Monroe County Public Health Office at 585-753-5087.
Mold – There are no governmental agencies that test for mold. The best treatment is to identify the problem that is causing the mold, then eliminate the problem. You will also need to clean up any mold that has formed. Here are some trustworthy websites that offer detailed information on both mold and lead: