The mission of the Tree Board includes the following goals:
- Maintain an up-to-date online inventory of all Brockport’s public trees.
- Identify tree species suitable for our area and appropriate for the various kinds of sites in an urban community.
- Emphasize diversity in future tree plantings to avoid a monoculture of species and make Brockport a “village arboretum.”
- Identify and preserve the particularly fine specimens of older trees – heritage trees – that we currently have in our community.
- Promote public awareness of the importance of our urban forest through education, community plantings and maintenance of new trees.
- Maintain our continuing status as a Tree City USA with the National Arbor Day Foundation (awarded 2009).
To view the most recent tree inventory for the village (2021), including species, diameter (DBH), vacant tree planting sites, and calculations of the ecological benefits of Brockport’s public trees click here.
BROCKPORT’S URBAN FORESTRY MANAGEMENT PLAN (2016)
Based on the 2014 inventory of Brockport’s trees, this document offers a plan for managing out urban forest. A section on the history of Brockport’s public trees is also included. To view the plan in full click here. To view Cornell University’s document on urban tree planting generally and site assessment click here.
The Tree Board hosts an annual Arbor Day planting, mobilizing volunteers to plant new trees in the Village. Community members can also request the planting of a street tree by filling out the Street Tree Planting Request Form and dropping it off at Village Hall (127 Main Street) or emailing it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tree plantings appropriate to Brockport can be found here in the Master Tree List, Village of Brockport (2011). Appropriate trees and planting practices for planting trees under utility lines can be found here.
The Tree Board relies on donations to help support our tree planting efforts. We collect funds from donation jars placed in businesses throughout the Village. The public can also donate funds to plant a tree by visiting Celebration Forest or by filling out a Donate a Tree Form and submitting it to Village Hall (127 Main Street) or by emailing it to email@example.com.
The Village of Brockport Tree Board is governed by Chapter 46 “Trees and Vegetation” Section 4 of the Village Code